Wednesday, November 9, 2011

White Privilege

I thought this article brought up a few very good points about how we still have some segregation between races even though we might not recognize it. One of the quote was really interesting to me it said: "If these things are true, this is not such a free country;
one’s life is not what one makes it; many doors open for certain people through no virtues of their own." I like this quote from the article because it is really true. Some people especially white people are offered more opportunities solely based on the fact that they are white! This is a terrible injustice and one that I dont think a lot of people really think about. The list of about 26 opportunities that white people are afforded really made me think. I would have never thought about the color of bandaids as being a race segregation but it really is. Overall this article did a really good job making me think about how different opportunities are afforded to different races and how this hurts us all in the end.

1 comment:

  1. I could not agree more with you. I'm disgusted with the way our country treats people based on the color of their skin. The part you mentioned about "this is not such a free skin" sums it up perfectly. If every single person is not open to the same opportunities, then they are living a hindered life. Every citizen of a country should be treated equally, and the fact that the people affected are reminded of this everyday is sickening. I appreciate the push for equal rights, but I feel like if I could live a day in their shoes, I would instantly realize how bad it really is. I'll never be able to experience how it feels, but I want to appreciate it even more so that I can feel inspired to go out and express how I feel and pass it along to others.

    ReplyDelete